Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Fernando Pessoa

He was born in 1888 in Lisbon and died in 1935 and he was probably the most influent poet of portuguese literature, writing under the name of four different characters (himself, Alberto Caeiro, Alvaro de Campos and Ricardo Reis).

There will never be enough words to describe a poet like this. The poems tell everything. I'm posting first the original and then the english translation. I promise to post more of his poems in the future.


Se depois de eu morrer (Alberto Caeiro)


Se depois de eu morrer, quiserem escrever a minha biografia,
Não há nada mais simples
Tem só duas datas — a da minha nascença e a da minha morte.
Entre uma e outra cousa todos os dias são meus.

Sou fácil de definir.
Vivi como um danado.
Amei as cousas sem sentimentalidade nenhuma.
Nunca tive um desejo que não pudesse realizar, porque nunca ceguei.
Mesmo ouvir nunca foi para mim senão um acompanhamento de ver.
Compreendi que as cousas são reais e todas diferentes umas das outras;
Compreendi isto com os olhos, nunca com o pensamento.
Compreender isto com o pensamento seria achá-las todas iguais.

Um dia deu-me o sono como a qualquer criança.
Fechei os olhos e dormi.
Além disso, fui o único poeta da Natureza.

Translation:
If, After I Die

If, after I die, they should want to write my biography,
There's nothing simpler.
I've just two dates - of my birth, and of my death.
In between the one thing and the other all the days are mine.

I am easy to describe.
I lived like mad.
I loved things without any sentimentality.
I never had a desire I could not fulfil, because
I never went blind.
Even hearing was to me never more than an accompaniment of seeing.
I understood that things are real and all different from each other;
I understood it with the eyes, never with thinking.
To understand it with thinking would be to find them all equal.

One day I felt sleepy like a child.
I closed my eyes and slept.
And by the way, I was the only Nature poet.


Sou um evadido (Fernando Pessoa)

Sou um evadido.
Logo que nasci
Fecharam-me em mim,
Ah, mas eu fugi.

Se a gente se cansa
Do mesmo lugar,
Do mesmo ser
Por que não se cansar?

Minha alma procura-me
Mas eu ando a monte,
Oxalá que ela
Nunca me encontre.

Ser um é cadeia,
Ser eu é não ser.
Viverei fugindo
Mas vivo a valer.

Translation:
I am the escaped one

I am the escaped one,
After I was born
They locked me up inside me
But I left.

If we get tired,
Of the same place,
Of the same being
Why not to get tired?

My soul seeks me,
Through hills and valley,
I hope my soul
Never finds me.

To be one is prison,
To be me is not to be.
I will live runing away
But I live for real.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home